Your name - Simone Nationality - Australian Children's ages - 8, 6 and 4 Location - Singapore How long have you lived there? - Nearly five years Websites for keeping up to date on what is happening in the area - Honey Kid Asia and Honey Combers Singapore Hint 1 ...Read More
Looking for a tropical escape, off the beaten track and are travelling with little children? Ready to feast on someRead More
Home to world class museums, galleries, lots of open green space and a lake filled with sailboats, Australia's capital cityRead More
Click here to explore more locations
Name – Karen
Who do you travel with? Usually my husband and 3 kids (currently aged 2, 4, 7 years) but I have done 2 solo flights with 3 kids under 5 to and from Dubai – Australia, that I keep reminding him about!
Your favourite airline to travel with so far? and Why? Emirates, as they have generally been on time and we can go direct to most places. But I’ve heard good things about Etihad, especially for families.
What was the destination of your favourite family holiday? Maldives closely followed by Hawaii.
Where are you dreaming of travelling next? Sri Lanka and possibly a ski holiday to Europe.
- Keep smiling and have a sense of humour, to help your kids see travel as an exciting adventure.
- Fly at night for long haul trips and remember, no child has ever stayed awake forever.
- Play with all the airplane stuff before you reach for the toy bag. A sick bag can be turned into a monster puppet, an emergency card may be a tunnel for a hot wheels car, play spot the dog/baby/shoes in the inflight magazine, make up a magic trick with a plastic cup and cold flannel, play peekaboo with the sleep mask, and hide little things in the free socks and guess what they are just by feeling.
- Buy some puffy stickers. They are easier for little fingers to peel on and off and they can have fun sticking them on everything.
- Don’t try to get the kids into a normal schedule of sleep at your destination. Use the jet lag to your advantage and hopefully you get to have some fun evenings together and perhaps some daytime naps together too.
See more handy tips for travelling with children
|Must Take Items
Name – Louise
Who do you travel with? Husband and three kids
- GroBlinds, bulldog clips and blutack – all help to darken rooms! The clips can be used to keep existing curtains closed tight together and blutack is very handy for many things, such as covering blinking lights on overhead fire detectors that are driving your kids insane!
- Lollipops – a lollipop can get you out of a tricky situation and keep the kids preoccupied for a good 20 minutes!
- A lead. I know these can be unpopular, but we have a cute monkey backpack with a lead attached. It’s a lifesaver with toddlers, especially in the security line if you’re without a pram!
Name – Lizzie
Who do you travel with? – My husband, Miss 2.5 years and Master 7 months
- Vegemite (for Aussies!) – I love having a tube of Vegemite in my handbag – lunch on the run is ready in a jiffy. We also travel with a packet of breakfast cereal, all you need is milk. Breakfast, lunch or dinner is ready to go.
- Vegetable peeler – So handy in the handbag for a snack on the go – carrot, cucumber, apple – no need to wash, just peel.
- I always take a little packet of laundry washing powder, handy if you need to do some hand washing in the bath.
Click here for more ideas on what to pack!