Your name - Simone Nationality - Australian Children's ages - 8, 6 and 4 Location - Singapore How long have you lived there? - Nearly five years Websites for keeping up to date on what is happening in the area - Honey Kid Asia and Honey Combers Singapore Hint 1 ...Read More
Looking for a tropical escape, off the beaten track and are travelling with little children? Ready to feast on someRead More
Home to world class museums, galleries, lots of open green space and a lake filled with sailboats, Australia's capital cityRead More
Click here to explore more locations
Name – Lizzie
Who do you travel with? – My husband, Miss 2.5 years and Master 7 months
Your favourite airline to travel with so far? and Why? We recently travelled with Swiss Air for a short international flight, they were brilliant. Friendly to the children, excellent kids meals, on time and organised.
What was the destination of your favourite family holiday? Greece
Where are you dreaming of travelling next? Maldives
- We have learnt to embrace the early morning wake-ups. Having the Spanish Steps in Rome to ourselves is probably one of our favourite family travel memories
- Remember that your children are children – they need breaks, time at the hotel and some early nights
- Clear expectations! Talking to children (and husband!) about the day ahead (especially travel days) and helping them to understand what will be expected of them. My daughter hated wearing her seatbelt on the plane so we started telling stories every night about getting on the plane and putting on seat belts – it worked a treat!
- On travel days – take your time. We travel long haul at least once a year and I find not rushing really cuts down on the waiting around time. If your baby is happy on the change table while you change them – take your time, if your child is having a snack, don’t give them a packet of sultanas give them the sultanas one by one. Sounds mind numbing, but I think it helps.
- We love Eyewitness travel guides, my sister put me onto them and I love them. The pictures and walking tours are great.
See more handy tips for travelling with children
|Must Take Items
Name – Katie
Who do you travel with? My Husband, Master 3.5 and Master 1
- Face wipes
- Hand gel
Name – Nicole
Who do you travel with? Husband (sometimes) and Master 1
- Wipes, wipes and more wipes!
- I always pack a little bag of snacks and water for our son. Puréed airline food is not ideal and I’d probably use a whole pack of wipes on our son trying to keep him, me, the seat and the people either side of us food free! These bibs are always in our lunch box. Super easy to wipe over and the scoop catches most things that don’t quite make it into his mouth.
- A little nappy wallet with a few nappies, a pack of wipes and some hand sanitiser. The toilets on planes are tiny and you don’t want to have to try to juggle a full sized nappy bag and your child in one. Pull-up nappies can be a LOT easier to change. (Disclaimer: dealing with poo in a pull-up with a wriggling toddler in an aeroplane toilet is not something I’d recommend! So I only use pull-ups when I’m fairly certain I’m only going to be dealing with wet nappies). I always have a pile of spare nappies in my carry on but the nappy wallet is always kept easily accessible.
Click here for more ideas on what to pack!